Phone: 050 156 1901
Office Location: COLT, Main Campus
Dr. Ebenezer Malcalm is Senior Lecturer and the Director of Centre for Online Learning and Teaching (COLT) at Ghana Technology University College (GTUC). He was a founding Pro-Vice Chancellor of Laweh Open University College, the first accredited Open University in Ghana. Dr. Ebenezer Malcalm was once Senior lecturer and Coordinator of Distance Learning School at University of Professional Studies, Accra. He is a trained Instructional Designer and Technologist and Communication and development expert. Dr. Malcalm founded of Rescue Mission Ghana, an international NGO that seeks to promote the concept of Sustainable Development.
Dr. Malcalm obtained a Bachelor degree in Publishing Studies at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology Kumasi, Ghana and a Masters degree in Population Studies, from University of Ghana. He also graduated and earned Masters degree in International Affairs with a major in Communication and Development at Ohio University. He earned his Ph.D in Instructional Technology at Ohio University, USA.
Dr. Malcalm has been involved in the field of computer education, multimedia and instructional technologies for more than 16 years. He is an active researcher in ICT integration in education and developer of learning technologies. He has broad experience in the design, development and evaluation of multimedia and computer-based learning materials.
Dr. Malcalm is also known to have contributed immensely to the deployment of Information Technology in several schools in Ghana, particularly in junior and senior high schools. He has served on a number of ICT in education committees, notable among them being the National ICT in Education Policy and Planning Committee, ICT policy in Education committee and 2009 best teacher in ICT in education award.
He has vast experience in developing and facilitating collaborative learning projects such the Global Teenager Project, (GTP) International Education and Resource Network (IEARN), and Mtandao Afrika (Thinkquest Africa). He also presented papers at both national and international conferences. Dr. Malcalm also published extensively in international peer reviewed journals.
Dr. Malcalm is an independent international development communication consultant in the areas of community mobilization, HIV/AIDS prevention care and support, NGOs capacity building programs, development of communication strategies for NGOs and develop Strategic plans for universities and NGOs. He had consulted in areas of Communication for Development, Research, Monitoring and Evaluation, Distance Learning course development and online facilitator. Dr. Malcalm has consulted for International Institute for Communication and Development (IICD), The British Council, Star Ghana, International Education and Resource Center (iEARN). Jphiego, Ghana Health Service and Global Teenager Foundation among others.
Dr. Malcalm’s research interests are in ICT use in education, ICT in education policy issues, distance learning, strategic planning, leadership, collaborative learning and the use of learning platforms in higher education.
Responsibilities of the Director of the Centre
The Director of the Centre for Online Learning and Teaching (COLT) at GTUC oversees the day-to-day operations of the Centre in the management and delivery of all technology-enabled learning initiatives of the college including e-learning, online/hybrid learning, mobile learning etc.
- Coordinate and conduct training for faculty and staff in the use of instructional technologies and approaches, course development and instructional design for online and hybrid courses, classroom technology integration, and online student learning support.
- Work with faculty to develop appropriate course formats and packaging to provide students with seamless and user-friendly online learning experiences that meet quality standards of effective student-centered course development and delivery in the online teaching/learning environment.
- Maintain administrative oversight of the school's Learning Management System
- Interact with each online instructor prior to course implementation to review materials and plans for implementation, prepare an evaluation of the materials as well as learning activities.
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies and recommend their adoption and use based on their ability to meet teaching and learning needs, both online and in the classroom
- Establish performance metrics for continuous improvement of online teaching and learning.
- Conduct research works in order to establish best practices in online/hybrid course design and delivery, particularly within the Ghanaian context, and assist faculty and students adopt and apply these practices appropriately
- Review and monitor emerging technologies and make recommendations, additions, and enhancements of educational technology hardware and software for use by the University.
- Provide assistance to face-to-face faculty, as needed, for the use of online teaching and learning methods to supplement face-to-face classes.
- Keep abreast with new developments and research in online education, and share this information with faculty, staff and students as appropriate
- Respond directly to online students' concerns, and take appropriate actions based on these concerns.
- Coordinate the writing of quarterly and annual reports on the state of online teaching and learning at the university as well as activities of COLT
- Develop online teaching and learning policies/procedures to guide faculty, staff and students in the conduct of online teaching and learning at the University.
- Work closely with the ITSS department in supporting student and faculty needs related to the School's Learning Management System (Moodle)
- Assist other units involved in training activities (e.g. CPD) to develop and deliver online training modules both in-house and for external clients.
- Participate in relevant committees and working groups of the College as determined by Management
- Teach some courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels as assigned
- Any other duties as may be prescribed by management